Alcala de Henares, Madrid, July 2010

..
......Another half day trip from Madrid. even if it was very hot, I decided to do something on my last day here. So I took again the Cercanias from Atocha (5,20 euro round trip) and I went to Alcala de Henares (or Citadel on the River Henares). I chose this town for two reasons. It's also part of UNESCO World Heritage Sites and it's also Cervante's home town.
......I confess, I haven't chosen the best day to go there. It was Monday. Most of the sites were closed. I got there at noon and there was nobody on the street in the old center. I had to spend the next almost two hours in a McDonalds because it was too hot (what was I thinking of??).
......But even under this circumstances I managed to enjoy a 2 hour walk. I visited the Cathedral, a monastery, Cervantes Theatre and his home (on the outside). There were some guided tours at the University, but at 5pm. One of the most important streets in the city is the Calle del Cardenal Cisneros which takes tourists from the Madrid Gate at the entrance of the city, to the old city center and the Cathedral in Santos Niños Square. Miguel de Cervantes was born in Alcalá de Henares, and baptized in the Church of Santa Maria in 1547, although his family moved from the city when he was still young. The city celebrates his birthday, 9 October, every year and organizes an annual Cervantes festival. The local university is acknowledged as a global leader in the study of Cervantes and his works.
.
Cervantes Square


Oidor Church



Museo Miguel de Cervantes
Don Quixote and Sancho Panza outside Cervantes' birth-place
Calle Mayor. See? Absolutely nobody in the streets


Cathedral of the Santos Niños










Parque Municipal



Teatro Cervantes
Facade of the old Alcala University

Inside the University


Laredo Palace
.

No comments:

Post a Comment